Knock Knock


 

Knock Knock

 

Death is knocking on my door, 

I feel her near.

 

Death never gives up her quest;

She’s been pursuing me for years.

 

Cancer is her calling card, 

This time cancer is the card.

But I’ve said goodbye to friends before,

And I didn’t go.

Friends I thought I’d leave left me.

The card is not always true.

The greed of death grows many tentacles

Of many varied lengths.

Sometimes she knocks only to retract 

And stroll away.

Sometimes I buy a better lock, a better door

Kicks death out in the cold.

 

Death is knocking louder now,

So I’m online, comparing doors,

The latest locks, electronic alarms, technology;

The newest light beams, lasers, that blast

Its clumsy, slobbering mouth from planting

That eternal kiss on me.

The bank, big pharma, and my government

Play both sides of the tug.

They tell me they’re my shields, 

As they wink at her.

 

Death knocks.

Death knocks for me.

 

I dare not seek refuge in bosoms 

Of troubled loved ones,

For death is a greedy suitor. 

No company allowed.

Her call is just for us.

Her limousine is plush and cavernous,

Only for her and me.

 

Knock. knock!

 

I lock the door.

 
  

J.C. Salazar
 
 
 

J.C. Salazar grew up in Houston, where he still resides, the child of immigrant parents. He earned degrees in English (BA), linguistics (MS), and literature (MA) from the University of Houston and UH-Clear Lake. He also completed doctoral courses in English at UH. J.C. is a lifelong educator and community activist, who loves great stories, language, and writing. Of Dreams & Thorns is his debut novel, inspired by his immigrant family and community. He hopes you love reading it as much as he loved writing it.

"states of unitedness" is his collection of poems in which the author expresses the need for all human beings to love one another and our responsibility to care for each other while also striving to reach our full potential. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSVRRFK/

1 Comments

  1. Most writers are not this honest. You are doing God’s work on this theme.

    HR Drewing

    ReplyDelete
Previous Post Next Post