Archer Street Coin Con




Archer Street Coin Con







If you find a coin on the street

it’s perfectly fine to pick it up

(that’s the consensus on Reddit)

and stumbling on a flash of gold

on the footpath on Archer Street

I look from side to side

aware of onlooking eyes

as I bend to pick up the dollar

and what a joke -

the coin is flush with the path

neatly set in the concrete.



my ears bloom bright to poinsettias

as I wonder if it’s a cheeky prank

by the tradies who laid the path -

Let’s press a buck in there, fellas

Pull a fast one on passers by, hehe!

like a permanent installation of a gag

and I contemplate the odds of a coin

falling face up in wet concrete.



dusting my knee, I tug at my boots

pretending to tie laces

(on a shoe which has none)

feeling as though all of Archer Street

is an audience at a stand-up

and I quickly walk forward

pausing at the corner, looking back

to find sucker number God-knows-what

on one knee, feeling the coin

the same brand of foolishness

spreading across his face.








 Oormila Vijayakrishnan Prahlad



  


Oormila Vijayakrishnan Prahlad is a Sydney based artist, poet, and pianist. She holds a Masters in English. Oormila has exhibited her art and accompanying poetry in Kuwait, India, Singapore, and Australia. She is a member of Sydney’s North Shore Poetry Project and Authora Australis. Her recent works have been published in Red Eft Review, Glass Poetry Journal’s Poets Resist, Eunoia Review, Underwood Press’ Rue Scribe, The Maier Museum of Art’s Journal of Ekphrastic, Plum Tree Tavern and The Rye Whiskey Review. She has poems forthcoming in the Rat’s Ass Review. Oormila regularly performs her poetry and exhibits her art at shows in Sydney.




Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post