Why Do You Act Like That?





Why Do You Act Like That?








It’s stupid how much all of this matters now.


Years since I hunched, pubescent and afraid of everything,
howling just to hear my voice echo back.
The comfort of knowing the walls were still there
without having to remove my hands from my eyes.



Lunchrooms are what I think death will be like.
Cold, isolated, gathered for a slimy feast.
A smell that vaguely reminds you of something that once lived,

while angels float around the room,



holding hands and passing love letters,
basking in the royal rays of gossip, status.

I was always loud because at least
the seraphs would look at me 



before they broke for the trash cans. 

  

  



 Timothy Tarkelly  







Timothy Tarkelly's work has been featured by Philosophical Idiot, Back Patio Press, Cauldron Anthology, From the Depths, GNU, Sludge Lit, and others. His book, Gently in Manner, Strongly in Deed: Poems on Eisenhower was published by Spartan Press in April, 2019. When he's not writing, he teaches in Southeast Kansas. 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post