If Sheep Could Only Talk





If Sheep Could Only Talk

  


Who knows where the sheep go at night? The gate is always open and they are in groups of five or six, and this is going to sound strange, they appear to be gossiping—talking over the nights’ doing, as it were.

When they see me--they spread out—away from their groups. I wouldn’t be surprised if they began whistling to show that nothing was going on but I know better.

I asked Butch, my next-door neighbor, (if you can call ten acres away next door) if he was having the same problem with his sheep but he laughed and asked if I thought they had night jobs or were going to the truck stop and putting out?

There’s no doubt that Butch will be at the barber shop tomorrow getting a trim and spreading the word of my sheep problem and thoughts. I shouldn’t have said anything.

So I stayed up last night with the house lights off and the exterior lights on and I saw Woolly, our sheep dog, the same off white color as the sheep, amble over to the gate, stand up on his hind paws, and push the locking bar open with his nose. Then he pushed the gate open and slow trotted back to his usual spot.

One by one the sheep came out and formed groups of five or six and stayed that way until the morning. It’s clear that Wooly’s the problem and not the sheep so I think I’ll call the smithy to come over and put a sheep dog resistant latch on the gate.

No sheep out in groups the next morning and the gate was closed but the coral was open and the horses running around the field with Wooly lying down watching. I know he’s sending me a message, but I don’t know what it is yet.

 
Paul Beckman
 

Paul Beckman has four story collections, a novella published and a new collection, ”Kiss Kiss” due out in early 2018.. He’s had over 350 of his stories published in print, on line, and via audio. Paul runs the monthly FBomb NY flash fiction reading series at KGB. He had a micro story selected for the 2018 Norton Microfiction Anthology.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post