Stand





Stand


You chip away at

my resolve

but I will not be

your whipping boy

I will not be

your dog in a corner

cowering

or fighting to get out

Your jibes and

criticisms 

will not move me

I am firmly rooted

I am solid in my foundation

I will not

collapse

under your attacks 

 You chip away at

my resolve

but you cannot shake me

Each piece you take

is replaced

with stronger

firmer 

centered stone

anchored in truth

and dignity

and morality

You chip away at

my resolve

but you will not see

my tears

only my strength

His will through me

My faith

my trust

my hope

is not in you

but in the One

Who guides me

Here I am defined

not in

   your school

or under

   your thumb

or into

   your corner

I am me

without you

You chip away at

my resolve

hopeful of a self-destruction 

you are instead

an artist

and your carvings,

in spite of you,

reveal a better me.


Gwen Harrod wrote this poem in 2002 while being abused by a principal.


1 Comments

Previous Post Next Post